If you’re preparing to move from one home to another, one of the biggest decisions that you will have to make is in regards to how you actually move your belongings. The two options are to either hire a removal – or moving – company, or to do it yourself.
So, to make that decision easier for you, we’ve broken down the major pros and cons of each option.
- One major pro is that you get total control of your move. Not only do you get to choose the truck and supplies that you will use to move your property, you will also handle all the boxes yourself so that you know that you are being as careful as possible.
- Another major pro is that you can pack however you want. Movers are going to want to pack everything you own, but if you do the job on your own, you can pack what you need to pack and leave loose things that you don’t think have to go in a box and can travel with you.
- The primary pro is that you’re saving money. Hiring a mover will cost thousands. Doing the job yourself will simply run you back the cost of the truck, boxes and gas.
- A major con of doing it yourself is you have to actually do the work. It’s hard and heavy and is no fun at all. It’s as simple as that!
- Another con of doing it yourself is that you have to plan the whole thing out. And it takes a lot of planning. So, be prepared to treat your move like a second job for a few weeks while the job is getting done.
- The final con is that unexpected problems will come up. Without professional experience, you might not know how to handle them.
Hiring a moving company:
- You’re not going to have to do any work when it comes to the heavy lifting. After all, you’re paying these movers Fairfax Va for a reason!
- Hiring a moving company is going to be highly efficient. This is especially true given the fact that you are going to be able to focus on big-picture stuff while you trust your great moving company to take care of the manual labor.
- Simply, there’s going to be less stress. With less work for you and your family, you can enjoy on other important aspects of the move.
- There is less flexibility in the job overall. When you hire a moving company, you limit the control you have over the move.
- Hiring a moving company is going to be expensive. Even a local move is going to cost a lot. In fact, a local household move is going to run you an average of $2,300 for 4 movers working at $200 per hour.
- The final con of this option is that the work is impersonal. That means you can’t depend on your movers to treat your belongings as carefully as you would. That means that accidental damage may occur.