Retractable covers are an innovative and very versatile resource to compose outdoor spaces. It is a system that gives modernity and sophistication to environments thanks to its bold system of collection. Made to measure for new roof and in different materials, they are perfect for creating multifunctional spaces, providing privacy, and protecting areas from bad weather. We bring a summary of some retractable cover options and comment on their qualities and possibilities.
Versatility And Comfort For Your Space
Unlike a conventional roof, a roof made of glass, polycarbonate, or fixed canvas, retractable roofs offer comfort and comfort wherever they are applied. A movable roof offers greater flexibility, allowing you to control, according to the weather and time of day, the opening of the panels, thus allowing the environment to be refreshed and promoting more significant contact with the outside.
Structure And Frame
There is a wide range of materials that can be used in the manufacture of retractable roofs, and, usually, they are composed of a combination of them:
- Main structure: They are usually made with slip-resistant steel that provides stability, as their connections are welded.
- Frames: It is the sliding part that rests on the main structure and will house the roof. They are mostly made of aluminum, as it is lighter and more resistant to bad weather.
The roof material is one of the components that deserve special attention for the system to be efficient:
- Glass: The glass cover can have high protection against ultraviolet rays, has a remarkable degree of translucence, is durable, and maintains its transparent appearance for a more extended period. As a disadvantage, glass is heavier and requires a more resistant structure for its installation.
- Polycarbonate: This material is ideal for forming curved roofs and can be used on compact boards, honeycomb sheets, or tiles with different shapes. It also has protection against UV rays, being two to six times lighter and 30% more resistant to impacts and weather conditions. On the other hand, it is less durable and can scratch over time.
- Canvas and fabrics: The covering systems that use canvas and fabrics are more conventional, and, in addition to steel and aluminum, they can also be assembled through a more straightforward wooden structure. They are beautiful, resistant, and, depending on the material used, offer protection against rain and sunlight, allowing natural light to penetrate the environment subtly.
For glass and polycarbonate roofs, the seal is the factor responsible for making the roof safe and watertight in the event of a windstorm, for example. So that water does not enter the environment, it is essential to have, in addition to a well-studied and executed structure, flashing, connection parts, brushes, and robust and high-resistance sealing rubbers.
The collection system can be done manually, which is more common in wooden and canvas structures or motorized. The automation used in these types of covers consists of a motor very similar to the one used in automatic gates and works by activating a remote control. It results in a silent and long-lasting system, and some roofs may even have intelligent rain and wind sensors.
Where To Use Them
Retractable covers are ideal for use in both residential and commercial environments. According to the customer’s needs, they can be applied in gardens, backyards, swimming pools, barbecues, balconies, apartment roofs, ballrooms, corridors, parking lots. Anyway, in any environment according to expert contractors where it is necessary to protect the sun and the rain in a versatile, comfortable way, without losing natural light or compromising ventilation.